The R&A Women in Golf Charter
A commitment to a more inclusive culture within golf
We, Horsforth Golf Club call on everyone involved in golf to play their part in developing a culture that values women’s involvement in every aspect of the sport, from participating to pursuing a career.
- Our aim is to increase the number of women and girls playing and working in golf.
- To achieve this goal and to enable women to flourish throughout golf, we recognise the need for a fundamental shift in culture. There is a clear ethical need for change and the potential economic benefits of growing the sport through more women and girls playing are substantial.
- The R&A commits to playing a leading role in this process and to working with affiliates, partners and the wider golf industry towards achieving this goal.
- In signing this Charter, we Horsforth GC commit to making tangible efforts to develop a welcoming and inspiring environment for women. We will do more to attract women into golf, to remain, and to have rewarding careers.
- Is a statement of intent from the golf industry and Horsforth GC, to unite and to focus gender balance at all levels
- Commits us all to supporting measures to increase the number of women, girls and families playing golf
- Calls for positive action to encourage women to pursue careers in all areas of the sport
- Recognises the need for change that creates an inclusive environment within golf and our golf club
Signatories commit to activate this Charter by:
- Developing and implementing an internal strategy for enhancing gender balance at every level
- Establishing senior management responsibility and accountability for gender balance and inclusion, which is discussed and reviewed at Council and Executive team with Horsforth GC
- Strongly advocating more women and girls playing and working in golf.
- Working with key stakeholders to develop and embed a more inclusive culture.
- Promoting the Charter and our goal of encouraging more women and girls to play golf and work in golf.
How we at Horsforth GC plan to achieve this
- Deliver a minimum number of two initiatives each year targeting women/girls and families that are aligned with key England Golf campaigns
- Promote a membership pathway, for women/girls and families to progress within the club
- Have designated Champions/Mentors within the club who can assist and support new participants and members
- To maintain and or increase the female Proportional percentage of the lady membership on The HGC Council by actively promoting these positions linked to appropriate role descriptors that are not gender specific
- Achieve a ‘Twinned’ club status with England Golf affiliated club to share knowledge and best practice of Women in Golf/Junior Development/Safegolf.
- Appoint a designated Charter Champion within the club who can assist with the promotion and reporting of the charter
Signed on Behalf of Horsforth GC:
Club Manager/Secretary/ Chairman: Jonathan Pearson
Charter Champion: Lady Vice President Carol Outhwaite