Par 71 | 6329 yards | Course rating 71.2 | Slope rating 132
|TEE||PAR||YARDS||COURSE RATING||SLOPE RATING|
This parkland and moorland course, improved by local course designer Dr Alistair Mackenzie in 1913, is always presented in good condition and combines devilish short holes with some altogether more substantial challenges. The heathland the course was built on is slowly changing due to tree planting over the last thirty years. The course was once catchment land for Horsforth Water Authority, two of the abandoned reservoirs forming part of the course boundary.
The first hole begins with a slight incline away from the Clubhouse and is protected by a ditch on the right and OOB on the left. After the second hole the course continues across the road before returning over the road for the final hole.
Of the variety of holes on the course the short par-four 10th and long closing par-five 18th hole are perhaps outstanding examples. The former, at little over 300 yards, offers the adventurous the opportunity to drive the green by taking on a blind shot (making sure it is safe to do so) with out-of-bounds inside the angle of the left-hand dog-leg. Those laying up will find a wedge approach to the narrow ledge of a green a ticklish proposition. The 18th, meanwhile is close to 550 yards long and plays over the brow of a hill before the s-shaped fairway tumbles down to a green protected by a new pond at the front, with the spacious clubhouse providing a fitting backdrop.